2017 – Take 5!
Every New Year we make resolutions with the best intentions, there’s something about the promise of a fresh start and a clean slate that makes us set them every year.
New Year Resolutions often revolve around our health – getting fit, losing weight, stopping smoking – but how about this year you follow the “5 ways to Wellbeing”?
2017 could be your time to take responsibility for maintaining good mental health and wellbeing.
By adopting these 5 Simple Steps you can increase your life expectancy by up to 7.5 years.
- Connect – connect with the people around you: your family, friends, colleagues and neighbours. Spend time developing these relationships.
- Be active – you don’t have to go to the gym. Take a walk, go cycling or play a game of football. Find an activity that you enjoy and make it a part of your life.
- Keep learning – learning new skills can give you a sense of achievement and a new confidence. So why not sign up for that cooking course, start learning to play a musical instrument, or figure out how to fix your bike?
- Give to others – even the smallest act can count, whether it’s a smile, a thank you or a kind word. Larger acts, such as volunteering at your local community centre, can improve your mental wellbeing and help you build new social networks.
- Be mindful – be more aware of the present moment, including your thoughts and feelings, your body and the world around you. Some people call this awareness “mindfulness”. It can positively change the way you feel about life and how you approach challenges.
The Five Ways to wellbeing were developed by the New Economics Foundation. You can download the Take 5 poster here.